CrossWIM – Weigh-in-Motion and Direct Enforcement
CrossWIM is a cutting edge high-speed weigh-in-motion system. It meets the most demanding criteria for traffic detection and dynamic weighing. CrossWIM is used for traffic statistics, pre-selection, and direct enforcement.
The system was developed with an emphasis on accuracy, reliability, and simplicity. It is suitable for basic single lane installations as well as for complex multi-lane free-flow environments with heavy traffic.
News from CROSS
CrossWIM control unit
CrossWIM is open to third party SW and HW components. It is customizable for specific applications and local conditions.
- Vehicle data (gross vehicle weight, axle load, wheel load, type/class of vehicle, vehicle speed, gap, vehicle dimensions)
- High accuracy for slow & high speeds
- Overloaded vehicle detection
- Pre-selection and direct enforcement
- Vehicle size measurement
- Twin-tyre detection
- User-configurable weight limits according to local legislation
- Monitoring of free-flow traffic on multi-lane roads
- High accuracy of vehicle classification
- Watchdog system monitoring
- Web API for third party data integration
- SQL database
- Standard EN 8+1
- EUR 13 and COST 323
- Full adaptation to specific national standards possible
- Custom categories reflecting specific customer / end user needs and requirements
The modular system
CrossWIM is designed as a modular system. According to the required precision, a corresponding layout and configuration can be selected.
ENTRA WIM system
- Gross weight accuracy ± 20 % (AVG real accuracy ± 15 %)
- Indicative speed measurement, number of axles and wheelbase, vehicle length, weight per axle
- Vehicle classification
STAGGERED WIM system
- Gross weight accuracy ± 7,5 % (AVG real accuracy ± 5 %)
- Speed measurement, number of axles and wheelbase, vehicle length, weight per axle
- Vehicle classification
STANDARD WIM system
- Gross weight certified accuracy ± 5 % (AVG real accuracy ± 3 %)
- Axle base accuracy ± 2,5 cm
- Speed accuracy ± 1%
- Vehicle length accuracy ± 0,3 m
- Basic vehicle classification
An integral part of the system is a SW solution based on Linux, SQL database, and a web interface that offers all key functions for system monitoring, control, and setup.
System information, real-time measured data, and also statistics are evaluated on-line and readily accessible through any internet-enabled (mobile) device.
CrossWIM web interface
The main module of the web application is the so called Watchdesk. This is a console, where weighed (measured) vehicles are displayed in real-time, including an indication of their traffic offence. After that, it is possible to display all detailed information such as the number of axles, axle weight, wheel weight, wheel speed (to see if there was any turning or breaking) and a calculated measurement validity.
The web interface is designed for operation by end users (typically road administration), for system administrators or enforcement staff (e.g. police).
- Real-time visualization of passing vehicles including LPR and overview camera snapshots
- Vehicle database access including search and filtering functions
- Detailed information of every recorded vehicle (e.g. total vehicle weight and even wheel and axle weight, overloaded indication, speed, validity of measurement)
- Traffic statistics (e.g. overloaded vehicles, classification, country of origin)
- Display of measurement protocol in case of an offence
- Data export to Microsoft Excel and PDF
- Device calibration and configuration of operational parameters
- User accounts management, database management and regional settings
- Web API for data integration
- Calibration and maintenance tools
Case study- Direct enforcement
In 2011 CROSS Zlin, a.s. as the first in the Czech Republic and the EU certified CrossWIM as an instrument for direct enforcement based on high speed weighing. The device can be used for automatic weighing of vehicles with an accuracy of ± 5 % for gross weight and ± 11 % for axle weight.
CrossWIM is used in the Czech Republic for automatic ticketing of overloaded vehicles in accordance with the applicable legislation.
Thanks to automatic ticketing there was a substantial improvement in enforcement and prosecution of offenders. Furthermore, protection of roads from overloaded vehicle damage was achieved. This dramatically increases the lifespan of roads and leads to significant savings on repairs.